Hey Tumblr, you love strong female characters! So, where’s your Lost Girl hype?!
I recently (yesterday) started watching Showcase’s Lost Girl, a supernatural crime drama which Syfy has picked up for a second season starting this fall. I was immediately hooked and not just because of Anna Silk’s stunning appearance. But because this shit is good.
Catering to short attention spans, I have made a quick bulleted list for why you should start watching Lost Girl:
- It revolves around a bisexual Succubus named Bo, played by Anna Silk.
- Anna Silk
- Bo is unknowingly a part of a larger society of supernatural beings called the Fae…and while the show’s mythology is a bit complex, it’s fascinating to learn more about them as Bo does.
- Bo answers to NO ONE! When the Fae (which are divided into two factions: light and dark) try to make her choose sides she, awesomely, “chooses humans!”
- Strong female characters!
- One of the new best female friendships! (between Bo and her human bff Kenzi)
- Kenzi and Bo open an Angel-esque private investigation agency!
- Kenzi is kind of a Veronica Marsy character but with more leather and more sass.
- It’s Canadian!
- The dialogue is consistently amazing and the humor never feels forced. Kenzi definitely gets the best lines. (re: “You technically can’t steal from a dead guy, seriously its a thing, ask museums.”)
- Succubuses are so underrated in genre television and this show proves how awesome they can be!
- There are lots of other magical species within the Fae (and no werepanthers!)
- And you should just trust me, okay?
And in my never-ending quest to get people to stop watching True Blood…if you’re looking for non-human characters who are actually well-written, multidimensional, and compelling, Lost Girl is your show! I’m sure it will suck you in (couldn’t finish this post without ONE succubus pun) right away like it did for me.